Fall gutter cleaning is one of those home maintenance duties that are easy to skip during the year. Fall is the time when owners should pay a little more attention to their gutters and downspouts and get them ready for the weather coming this season. In Nashville and most all of Tennessee, fall can be especially harsh. We’ve put together the 3 top reasons why you should make gutter cleaning a priority before any issues have a chance to the get started.
1. Anything In Your Gutters Now Will Cause a Bigger Problem Later
During the year, gutters fill up with all kinds of stuff. From fallen leaves and tree branches to bird’s nests and dog toys. Since they have been on the back burner of your list of household chores for a long time now, your gutters and downspouts need to have this debris removed before more leaves make their way into them.
If you live in a neighborhood with trees or have trees in your own yard, and who doesn’t in Nashville – you’re certainly going to have leaves and twigs in your gutters. Even with gutter guards! There is no getting away from them. Getting your Nashville gutter cleaning done by a pro twice a year – once in the spring and (more importantly) in the fall, you can help prevent the serious problems that clogged gutters can cause:
- Overflowing: Water overflowing from clogged gutters makes it way into window frames, doors, and foundations creating the possibility of damage, rot, mold, and cracking.
- Roof and Wood Damage: Water trapped in gutters creates a situation where the wood support (the fascia) and the underlying roof decking (plywood) soak up water causing it to rot and decay. While it may not be immediately obvious, this decay will weaken the wood structure causing it to eventually fail. When the wood support fails, the entire gutter system and your roof are at risk of falling. Remember, water weighs 8 pounds per gallon and a length of gutter along one side of your house can weigh hundreds of pounds. If it falls, not only will it cause expensive damage it is a safety hazard to anyone or anything that happens to be below it when it does.
- Foundation Cracks and Basement Flooding: The water not carried away by your gutters that has now overflowed will make its way into your foundation and basement areas. As the season turns from fall to winter, the water trapped in your foundation will freeze and thaw causing tiny cracks that combine into big, expensive problems. Basements with water penetration are also at risk of damage, not only from the freeze-thaw cycle but from water damaging flooring, wood structures, floor boards and other parts of your basement.
2. Weather Is Always Unpredictable in Nashville
Seasonal weather is highly unpredictable and if recent trends have shown us anything, you just cannot predict what the weather is going to be with a high degree of accuracy. With the weather being unpredictable and variable from day to day and week to week in the fall, getting an early start on having your gutters professionally cleaned and inspected will help take this variable out of the way. Trying to get your cleaning done by us, or worse trying to do it yourself, when the weather can change almost from hour to hour some days in the fall is challenging to say the least. Unpredictable weather, and especially sudden heavy storms and winds, can and do occur in the fall in the Nashville and Davidson County. A flash storm with pouring rain and high winds can absolutely destroy your gutters if they are already clogged and cause very costly damage.
3. The Longer You Wait, The More Expensive It Will Be
Gutter cleaning is not the most complicated business in the world but the same laws of supply and demand apply. As the Nashville area gets into the fall season, gutter cleaning schedules fill up and typically get to be more expensive.
By getting ahead of the game and booking a professional gutter cleaning now, before the “high-season” you will be worry-free going into fall and be able to work out the best price.
This fall, why not enjoy the season with less worry and stress. Have your gutters and downspouts professionally cleaned by the top-rated, most-trusted Nashville gutter cleaning company around.